About Darwin

The settlement of Darwin is named after the famous naturalist Charls Darwin, who visited the area in 1833. He is reputed to have spent the night at the site of Darwin. The settlement was founded in 1859, initially as a centre for cattle ranching and, later, for sheep farming. A large stone corral and cattle shed, built in the late 1800s, still stand. dscf0260

Darwing was once the largest centre of population outside Stanley with over 200 workers on the payroll. At the height of it's developemnet, the community included sheperds and farm hand, as well as a master craftsmen, a doctor, a school master and a parson.

By 1920 the site had become too small for the growing population and over the next two years, all the farm buildings, the church and most of the houses were transferred to goose Green. As they were built from wood, it was possible to jack them up, postition them on sleds and haul them to the new location.

The population of Darwin was reduced to only two for many years, but the number of permanent residents has now risen to six.

Darwin House was built in the late 1970s to replace the farm Manager's old house. It has been a guest house for the last 10 years.

g0012281 good one